• Assassins Creed

• The Witcher

• Metal Gear Solid

• Half Life

• Street Fighter

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Need insights on map development

Hello all who reads this. This will be my first post on the forums, but anyway straight to the point.

Recently I've grown a little tired of the maps and have them all pretty much memorized. So I decided why not try and create my own.
I've got minimal experience with blender, and more than intermediate knowledge with Unity3D as I've created my own games before.

I was wondering if there is a specific way to create the spawn point for Drift Streets Japan to read when you've exported a map.
Currently i'm using a Unity3D plugin that allows me to export selected objects in Unity into a .obj file, provided with a .mtl file. 
Is there also a specific way to size things to make sense In-game? Or is the map .obj file automatically resized to fit the proportions of the in-game vehicles?

The reason why I plan on using Unity3D to create the map is because I want to try and use the EasyRoads plugin to create smooth roads in a smaller amount of time.

I tried loading in a basic terrain object into Drift Streets Japan, but the car always seems to spawn in the sky, no matter how I change the height or size of the .obj file. Is there an explanation to this?

Any sort of help or advice is much appreciated.
For the spawn on maps,you need import "Grid 1" from the DSJ maps folder (its a default mod comes with the game) place your map on top of grid 1 as close as possible, but make sure the Grid1 is not poking or clipping through your map,and then select all and drag it below 0 on the Z axis. So you are moving the map downward from a side view. This will make you spawn in the sky a little depending how far down you go and drop on to the map. The very center of the background grid (0 on x,y,z axis) is the spawn points location and maps with higher elevation need to be lower on the Z axis to account for the height of the drop. There are a few more things to worry about with maps,ill cover them quick. Max 65000 vertices and the file size of the obj must be below 3mb but sometimes less. Its not much to work with so you will need to find methods to minimise your file size. Goodluck!
(09-17-2016, 10:05 AM)Sowl92 Wrote: For the spawn on maps,you need import "Grid 1" from the DSJ maps folder (its a default mod comes with the game) place your map on top of grid 1 as close as possible, but make sure the Grid1 is not poking or clipping through your map,and then select all and drag it below 0 on the Z axis. So you are moving the map downward from a side view. This will make you spawn in the sky a little depending how far down you go and drop on to the map. The very center of the background grid  (0 on x,y,z axis) is the spawn points location and maps with higher elevation need to be lower on the Z axis to account for the height of the drop. There are a few more things to worry about with maps,ill cover them quick. Max 65000 vertices and the file size of the obj must be below 3mb but sometimes less. Its not much to work with so you will need to find methods to minimise your file size. Goodluck!

Thank you so much for the response, I very much appreciate it. I'll be sure to post about my progress and ask you if I need any more help. ^^